Friday, September 3, 2010

"And sure enough, train wreck."



First thing's first: did anyone actually dig a foxhole when they were three years-old? I had never heard of anyone doing that, but it is hilarious. When I was three years-old, I barely had the patience to wait my turn at a slide, let alone dig a foxhole and lay in ambush for my mother to come by. Would I have even been able to pick up a shovel? Needless to say, Sophie is a very unique girl – but I guess that’s the point, isn’t it?

“Sophie is wild,” says the grandmother/narrator of Gish Jen’s “Who’s Irish?” (176). She is certainly that. Along with “wild,” she is also “difficult,” “creative,” “a problem,” “not afraid,” “stubborn,” “brown,” (177-184) and unlike any other girl in China. This is quite a list for someone who has only been around for three years! It’s important to notice, though, that she hasn’t described herself in any of these ways. She is something different to everyone around her, but I think that most of the descriptors can be boiled down into two categories: “Different” and “Unique.”

Both share roughly the same meaning, but it’s the connotation that matters. This is how the story can relate to the overall theme of Asian Americans – most of the time it is a matter of perspective. Jin Wang and the Monkey King from Gene Yang’s “American Born Chinese” both went through phases in which they saw themselves (and were seen as) “different,” in a negative way. Only after a transformative experience did they realize that they were “unique” in ways that they can be proud of. Gish Jen’s short story, “Who’s Irish?” puts a spin on this by placing the reader in an outside perspective. Sophie is in the same place the Monkey King was, but we are now looking through the eyes of the other Chinese gods.

That in mind, it’s interesting to see how complicated the situation can become. The narrator (Sophie’s grandmother) is prejudiced against Sophie not because she is unlike other Americans, but because she is unlike other Chinese girls. “Nothing the matter with Sophie’s outside, that’s the truth” she says, “It is inside that she is not like any Chinese girl I ever see,” (180). Unlike Jin and the Monkey King, Sophie’s outward appearance is not her primary obstacle (though it is discussed). The grandmother sees the true conflict within, “… there is more trouble with Sophie […] I think I can help her Chinese side fight against her wild side” (182). The grandmother wants to be the one who transforms Sophie. Almost all of her family has some wish to change her in one way or another, be it through making her less rambunctious, more familiar or less “brown.” It is as if they don’t know how to handle Sophie otherwise. This leads me to think that a lot of prejudice against a person who is foreign in some way stems from the problem of being unsure of how to interact with them. Jin’s classmates didn’t know how to properly interact with someone who was foreign to them, so they resorted to insults. Sophie’s distinctiveness causes a lot of debate on how she should be treated – should she be “normalized,” and if so, in what way? It is a nearly impossible decision to make for someone else.

A character like Sophie is hard to describe succinctly. She is hard to describe for people around her and, eventually, may struggle to describe herself. Allow me to offer up a suggestion. I read about a lot of things that Sophie “is,” but how did people overlook “good foxhole digger”? Seriously. She dug a hole so deep that you couldn’t see her. She even fell asleep down there! “Who’s Irish”? More like, “Who’s Amazing with a Shovel at Age Three?”

3 comments:

  1. Peter--I like the connections you make here between "Who's Irish?" and "American Born Chinese." I also think it's interesting that you focus on Sophie's character here.

    Do you think that despite the grandmother's frustration with Sophie's "wildness," she is also a lot like her? She describes herself as "fierce" in the first paragraph, and she uses the same word to describe her daughter, Natalie, in paragraph 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter I can’t believe you chose to write about Sophie with the super awesome grandma in the same story, I am highly disappointed? Did you not love, love, love grandma? I mean I want to meet grandma and possibly have her be my new BFF. Okay, maybe not really but what did you think about grandma? I kind of got the vibe you weren’t on team grandma and I think you should really hop aboard the ship.
    You seem thoroughly excited about Sophie and her wild side, which I think I might understand more if I weren’t so freagging in love with the Chinese. I mean yeah Sophie is pretty much a badass being three years old and shoveling a foxhole, but aren’t you a bit upset she disobeyed grandma? I mean every time Sophie disobeyed I kept thinking, “Get a hold of yourself Sophie!! Listen to your grandmother!!” Maybe it’s because I love and treasure my grandparents, am entirely too fascinated with this whole what it means to be family in the Chinese culture, and possibly because I am just different than you, but when Sophie took off her clothes I was all for grandma not feeding her to teach her a lesson.
    I didn’t really appreciate Sophie for being wild and crazy, I would have liked her more if she were more Chinese. I am particularly bored with America at the time being, and I think it ranges around I don’t see enough Americans having the right values, so for grandma to have her values so set just really gathered my appreciation and respect. I love how tradition plays such a role in their culture and in their every day lives. I wasn’t raised to really have any beliefs and my parents never really talked about our heritage or anything like that. It was never like every Sunday my family went to Church together or every night we had to be home for dinner, and so maybe that is why I am on team grandma and not really for the whole “American” way of family. I just respect grandma’s ideas on life so much, because it seems like she really has her values in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peter,

    First of all, I’d like to say I love looking at your drawings whenever you post a blog- they are always super funny and awesome.

    Second, I think that it’s interesting that you brought up the fact that everyone views young Sophie in a different light- “brown”, “wild”, etc. Everyone in the reading thinks of her in a different light, and seems to want her to be a different way. The Grandmother wants her to be more Chinese (on the inside), the Irish complain that she is too Brown (although they say it’s not a bad thing), the babysitter wants her to be more free, and love her body, her parents want her to not grow up with low self esteem, and want to raise her opposite of the Grandmother’s values. That’s a lot for a three year old! Although, Sophie seems to be stubborn enough to where she will be whoever she would like to be. I would imagine as Sophie gets older, living in a world where everyone excepts something different from you would be really tiring. I suppose what I’m trying to say is, I wonder how Sophie will be when she ages, if all of these conflicting ideas and values will be hard for her, what she will end up embracing (If not all the ideas). I think it would be hard to juggle two different sets of values. Although, I suppose now her Mother has taken care of that, no longer allowing her to see Sophie.

    Also, if Sophie never regains contact with her Grandmother as she matures, and she is raised on American values, would it be hard for her to fit in? The Grandmother states that Sophie looks very Chinese on the outside, just not the inside, so I’d imagine growing up would be hard. She looks Chinese but holds American values- the other children at school might neglect her due to her outward appearance, and the other Asian children might neglect her due to her inward ideas. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete